Saturday, August 23, 2008

Links to Africa Photos - and my favorite seven photos from the trip

Here is the link to my Africa photos. You might have to copy and paste it into your browser window. One album has the safari and the other has shots of Cape Town and some misc. stuff from the trip. To go to the second album, look for a link below the thumbnails on the Kodak site that says "browse all albums." Each album has about 50 photos -- a far cry from the 500+ that I took:-)


Okay, now here are my top seven photos from the trip:

"Lunch for each of us?"
Not hardly. Luckily for these two impalas, Rhinos are herbivores.

"Sunset in the Bush"

I took this shot the evening of the first game drive. The sun was going down and we were stopped. I caught the sun sneaking through this partially dead tree. Everything around us was quiet, but still you had a sense of how alive the place was.

"Are you talkin to me?"

This one just makes me laugh. I like it because all five of the kudu are looking straight at the camera at the same time. To me they look like they are saying, "What? You need something?"

"The Kudu Lodge Staff"

This is the staff at the lodge. When you arrive in the Land Rover, they are all lined up waiting to great you. They assemble again when you depart to say goodbye. Leon (next to me) and his wife Arina (top right) manage the lodge. Leon knows EVERYTHING about the animals, birds, and plants. And his wife CAN COOK! She is one of the sweetest girls I've ever met. Everyone was so friendly.
"A Prehistoric Creature"

Terrible eyesight, but great hearing. They look like something that should had roamed the earth a million years ago. It was so cool to get so close.

"The Field Trip"

This entire trip was like a field trip for me (don't worry, I got a lot of work done too). On the top of table mountain I caught up with a school field trip. It made me realize that kids are kids no matter what part of the world you're in. This little guy was nice enough to stop and let me snap his picture -- didn't even need to ask, just point the camera at him.

"Do you see it Elder? Do ya?"

The composition of this shot won't ever win any photography awards, but it is a great memory for me. I sat across the aisle from three missionaries on the final leg of the trip - Atlanta to Salt Lake City. They were on their way home from Brasil. I'd already tried to help one of them in the customs line when he was panicked because he's misplaced his passport. Which I later found in one of his books. I took this picture as we flew over the Salt Lake valley on our final approach. All three of them were crowed around the window looking for landmarks that they recognized and pointing them out to one another. They had worked hard serving the Lord for the last two years. Their suits were worn out. They were tired and they were so excited to be home.
That's it. Quite an adventure. I hope you enjoy the photos. CTR!

1 comment:

jeremy and steph said...

Dad, I love these posts!!!
I love the pics, the stories...EverYthinG! Thanks for being such a great blogger and sharing with us!