I'm writing on early Friday morning. Yesterday was a great day...THE GOLF DAY. It just kind of amazed me that "I was golfing in Africa!" I played well except for the first and last couple of holes. That frustrated me a bit. I was partnered with the top sport broadcaster in the country -- think Jim Nantz. He was really nice. Robyn, I invited his family to come stay out our house. Take a look at these pics. There is such a discrepency in wealth here. These homes are on the golf course. The are beautiful. Then look at the pic of the driving range. See the guy out there. They give him a hard hat and a bucket and he goes out and picks up the balls by hand. No machine! One funny story....I rented clubs and when I returned them, the guy said, "oh no, you bought these." I said, "no I didn't." He said, "yes you bought them." Weird! Turns out the organizers did buy them and then had me use them. For a minute I thought it was some kind of South African scam:-)
Another comment...the people here are so friendly. A smile on their face seems to be the "natural" expresion.
This morning I have a marketing meeting with a partner, then an interview for an article that is being written (we've already had at least one article published from the interviews we did earlier in the week). Then I get picked up for the drive to "the bush." I'm excited! Take a look at this link to see where I'll be. As you can see...its not what you'd consider "roughing it." http://www.bushbreaks.co.za/kudu.php And don't worry. Everyone I've talked to says that these events are very very safe. Go on the internet and see if you can find out what the "big five" animals are in Africa.
I won't have cell coverage or internet until around noon on Sunday Utah time. I'll give you a call Sunday afternoon Utah time. I think that is it. I feel kind of guilty for getting to do this without you all. I'll take lot's of good pictures to share. I love you.
No comments:
Post a Comment