Saturday, August 9, 2008

South Africa...


Day One…
Is it day one or day one and two? I’m still in the air with a little over an hour to go until we land in Johannesburg. Pretty uneventful travel with a couple of minor exceptions. I got to the airport in plenty of time. After taking the shuttle from the parking lot I get in the check in line. The guy in line behind me has four large boxes and a huge duffle bag. As we weave our way through the line waiting our turn I see him open the duffle bag, mess with the contents and then work to zip it closed again. The bag is filled with zip lock bags filled with some kind of powder substance (weird, but not the point of the story). As we are waiting, the guy suddenly blurts out “*@##%” and runs for the door. I’m thinking, “He must have forgotten something. But then through the window I watch him chase the tow truck that is towing his car. I don’t see him again for the next five minutes. Once I reach the check-in desk I hear someone telling the agent that the boxes and bags have been abandoned. The agent gets on the phone. I tell her they belong to a guy who went outside because his car was being towed. She replies “and now airport security is going to seize his luggage.” Not a good day for this guy.
I then get called, “next. Where are you headed?” I reply, “Johannesburg.” The agent then asks me, “Did you know South Africa is under attack? The Russians invaded this morning.” The first thing that came to my mind is, “I hope Robyn doesn’t see that news story.” The agent goes online and sees that it is South Ossetia, not South Africa. Got my heart racing for a moment there.
I slept pretty well on the lengthy flights. I arrive early evening so it will be interesting to see how well I sleep tonight. I used the world time watch that Grandpa Staples gave me. It has a stop watch on it. I started the stop watch as I locked the front door and headed to the airport. I stopped it as I unlocked my hotel room door. All total….27 hours, 42 minutes, 56 seconds.
I love you and miss you. I hope Stephanie, Jeremy, and Madison are getting settled into the land of the sun; that Robyn and MeKenzi have fun helping them get moved in; that Alyssa stays awake during any night shifts and finds an apartment; and that Matt, Jordan, and Paige all have a productive last week and travel safely home. Bye for now.

No comments: