Thursday, June 6, 2013

June 6, 2013 - Cortina

Today we drove high up into the mountains to a city called Cortina - host of the 1956 Winter Olympics. It was beautiful. I've taken a ton of pictures, but don't have a way of getting them from my camera to my iPad. Sorry. I'll be sure to post them when I can. Hopefully Kenzi can up load some to her Mac.

Tonight we went to bribano for dinner (about 20 min from our hotel). We went to a small restaurant where the woman spoke zero words of English. I spoke about four Italian words to her, so whenever she would say something, she would look at me to have me translate for everyone. It was very funny. I've had polenta three times. Yum!

A little bit more on yesterday... We spent the morning back in Santa Giustina going through records. We found several names. A few of the books were damaged so they wouldn't let us use them. That created some gaps in the records we could find. We then went up to Campel where Noni is from. We walked up the mountain and found a woman outside her house. Aunt Rene had a picture of Noni's house so we showed it to the woman and asked if she knew where the was. She looked at the picture and said, "I know right where it is and the woman in the picture is my mother in law!" Crazy! So we hiked the rest of the way up to the house and took pics. It was great.  We then ate lunch and went to San Gregorio to do more research. When we arrived, we were walking to the priest's house and Kenzi got confused and went into a strangers house. She came out quick saying sorry, sorry. The priest then said that woman is named Gianna DeZanet and she wanted to have us over for refreshments. So we went and she was so sweet. We then did more research and found a bunch more names. mom and Aunt Rene gave Gianna a little present from Venice. We then said goodbye to Joel, our family history consultant and headed back to the hotel. We all slept well.

Tomorrow we leave before 7 am to return the car and catch the train from Venice to La Spezia. I love you family.

No comments: