Saturday, March 20, 2010

New Zealand -- Makes my top five places in the world

I love New Zealand. These have to be the most genuinely friendly people I have ever met. Wow. And what a beautiful country!!!! I'm sure this post will get a bit lengthy, so thanks for reading.

On Thursday, I flew from Tokyo to Seoul to Auckland. I had one meeting Thursday moring in Tokyo, then raced for the train station. As I left our office (wish I had a picture of it), all eight of our employees were jammed into the doorway saying goodbye. The managing director got me on the train. 2 1/2 hours to Seoul, a very quick connection that I wasn't sure I was going to make, then about 12 hours to Auckland. I arrived here around 8:30 a.m.

Trying to be a good missionary, I engaged the cab driver driving me to the hotel to a discussion about the Church...only to find out that he is a Stake Partiarch. Small world!!!

My room wasn't ready, so I checked my bags and went to an internet cafe to handle a couple of business items. I came back, got checked in, dropped off some laundry, and was off to see the sites before noon.

I took a ferry to Devonport and then took a tour bus around the island and to the top of Mt. Victoria with 360 degree views. Devonport is a beautiful little town of 8,000 people. They already have a chocolate shop, so I guess moving here and staring one is out of the question.

I saw the local Rugby team who stayed at my hotel.

Friday night I walked down to the water for dinner. There is a huge sailing regatta (race) going on -- the Louis Vitton trophy. Friday night it was down to four teams. While I was there, the Italian team had just finished and arriving (they had won and made it to the finals). I talked to them, high-fived them on their win and was right in the middle of it all (as if I know anything about sailing -- right about now Robyn is shaking her head and mumbling, "oh Joe..."). It was fun! By Friday night I had had about 2 hours sleep in the last 32 hours so I was exhausted. I crashed and slept for about 10 hours.

Saturday morning....off to Waiheke island by ferry. I takes about 45 minutes to get there. I then boarded a bus and round around the island, hopped off at an outdoor market (bought a great item for the cabin), became best friends with a local guy and another guy from Northern New Zealand, met a girl who was backpacking across Asia for six months, ate two bites of some nasty meat pie, then caught the ferry back to Auckland.

As soon as I got off the ferry, I dashed for the bus and went to the Auckland museum, which was open for a couple more hours. Great exhibits, especially the one on the native Mauri's.

Then I caught the bus back to my hotel (or near my hotel) and relaxed for an hour or so. I wanted a quick dinner, so I went around the corner to a pizza and pasta place. I saw one of the New Zealand sailing team members and asked him how they had done. They made it to the finals and had beaten the Italians in the first race (I think it is the best of seven). Then back to my hotel and to bed (or fell asleep watching the movie Bewitched).

Today is Sunday and it was awesome! The Patriarch cabie had shown me where the church was. It was about a 20 minute walk (I'm sure I've walked 10 miles in the last two days). I got there just before 9 a.m. and church was about ready to start. EVERYONE is friendly. EVERYONE talks to you and introduces themselves. It was great. What a recharge for me. Good talks and comments that strengthened me.

I then walked back to my hotel and jumped on here to get this post out. Work will be very busy for me for the next four days, but I'll try and get one more post in there. Tomorrow night I fly to Sydney, Wednesday night to Melbourn, and Friday morning HOME!

I'll get pictures posted shortly. I have a lot of interesting ones.

I whine about the travel that my job requires, but I admit seeing New Zealand is quite a perk. And....I don't have to go by slow boat. I'm safe. I sleep in nice hotels. So I need to stop whinning and be a bit more grateful.

I love you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: