Sunday, January 13, 2008

A Werewolf in London...

January 13, 2008: I arrived in London safely. Three noteworthy stories to tell on my first day.

1. My luggage didn't get lost! This might not be noteworthy to some, but to me, with my experience...this is a big deal:-)

2. I'm in Chicago getting ready to board my flight. They call seating group one. I reach into my bag, get out my passport and boarding pass and head for the screener. He takes my items, looks at me, looks at my passport, looks at my boarding pass, initials my boarding pass and send me to the gate. I hand the lady my boarding pass, she puts it in the machine and it kicks it back out (same thing happened to the guy in front of me). She tears off the stub and hands it to me. I'm walking down the jet bridge, glance down to look at my seat number on the stub. "Hey, this says Frankfurt. Dang, I have to connect through Frankfurt! Wait a minute. This says October 8th!" I then realize that I'd grabbed a leftover old boarding pass. I look in my bag and there is my London boarding pass. Great security, huh? I tell the flight attendant who goes back out to the desk while I get settled. She comes back and says, "You're fine. That's a bit concerning, don't you think?" (those Brits end their statements with a question A LOT.

3. I get to Heathrow about 5:30 am, go through passport control, catch the Heathrow Express train to Paddington station and walk half a block to the hotel. There is a bit of confusion checking me in, but all looks to be in order. I get on the lift (I'm so British) to the fifth floor and start looking for the way to room 590. But the signs saw 590 Grand Western Suite. I get to my room and discover that this is a room built for a rock star! It has three floor, a spiral staircase (32 stairs - I counted them for you), an office with 20 ft ceilings, an entry, and a private deck that is twice as big as our sunroom. WOW! Seriously, this must be reserved for Presidents and rock stars (of which I am neither). All I can think is that the hotel was full and they needed to find a room for me. I wish you guys were here with me.

1 comment:

jeremy and steph said...

Daddy-o I am soo proud of you!!! You are a rockstar! :)
Your suite looks amazing...for all your bad travel luck you also seem to get quite a bit of good travel luck as well :)
That boarding pass thing is really scary...why did you have an old one anyway?
Well, we sure love you and you are a fabulous blogger! Keep us posted!