Sunday, February 20, 2011

Hong Kong -- February 2011

Can you believe I'm actually writing a blog post! So Hong Kong is a facinating place. I've enjoyed it much more than I thought. But before I tell you about Hong Kong, let me tell you about my trip over. Admittedly, this will bust the bubble that I slave through difficult times on these trips. Certainly not so this time.

I flew direct from San Fran to Hong Kong on Singapore Airlines. The trip was almost 15 hours, but I slept almost 8 of those hours. I flew business class. The seat makes into a completely flat bed! The food was great. The flight attendants are in traditional Asia long dresses. They I get picked up at the airport by a Mercedes. He drives me to the Sheraton. As we pull up, they open the car door and great me by name (oh yeah, when I left the airplane, the guy at the door said, "Thank you Mr. Staples"). I'm checked in. Arrive in the room and look out on a view of the harbor! I really has been a bit amazing!!!


Okay, I'll drop in some pics now. Yesterday was a fogy day up the mountain in a tram to see a huge Budah statue. It was cold, rainy, and cloudy, but still fun. Then dinner last night (not my favorite). Then today was church at a Chinese ward and later up to Victoria Peak which overlooks the city. Still cloudy, but nice.


Work actually gets going in about an hour as we kick off our conference. I love and miss you all.


This is me with Martin Foo. I met him at church. He has an amazing story that I'll have to tell you about.
This is the view from my hotel window.




This is inside of one of the Budahist shrines.

This is a view of Hong Kong from on top of Victoria Peak.


This is a group of us on Victoria Peak.


This is a house on Victoria Peak. You need serious bank for something like this!



Again, a shot from Victoria Peak.


This is the cable car you ride to get to Victoria Peak. Cost is about .60 cents. They have been running cable cars to the top since 1888.


This is a picture of a picture of the giant Budah. Look at a photo further down and you'll see the cloudy view we got.


This will give you an idea of how cloudy the ride up to the Budah was...

The gates into the area where the Budah is located.


I love this picture. These are people lighting incense near the Budah statue.


Near the monistary...pretty cool pic with the cloudy fog.

Here is our group at the foot of the Budah statue. Gives you a perspective of how big this is.

And the Budah that we got to see (kinda) through the clouds.



1 comment:

kenzis said...

Loved the post! Miss and love you daddy!