Sunday, April 20, 2008

Closing Days in Vienna

This is quite a city. I really enjoyed it. The last day I had a couple of presentations that I think went well. We ran over to St. Stephens to see if we could tour the catacombs, but we missed the last tour by 15 minutes. That night about ten of us went out to dinner for Wiener Schnitzel. It was really good (and no it isn't a hot dog or sausage). The morning we flew out we got up a bit earlier and went to get some local pastries (sooooo good). I also walked in Standt Park. It is a very pretty park. I saw a homeless man and felt so bad for him. I watched him for awile. Then I saw him take bread out of his bag and feed the birds. My guess is that he does this everyday. Even with the little he has, it must be one of the things that brings him joy. To be honest, I was a bit scared of him and struggled to figure out how to give him some money (he wasn't asking anyone for any). I walked behind him and he turned around and I figured this was my chance. He saw the money in my hand and quickly came toward me and held out his hand. I gave it to him and went on my way. He didn't say anything, but as I glanced back a few times from a distance, I saw that he just kept looking into his hand at the money. This went on for quite awhile, then he went on his way. I was glad I got up the courage to give it to him.

The flight back was fine. No delays, but 15 hours in the air (not much sleep this time) wasn't too enjoyable. I was really glad to be home. As fun as these places are, I'd much rather be home with my family.

Oh yeah, for those of you who took the survey....Italy also borders Austria.

No comments: