Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Safe in London

For all of you who still think business travel is glamorous, here is the short version of my trip here: Left Jacksonville late, circled Atlanta forever, ran low on fuel, diverted to Columbia South Carolina, took off ten minutes before the flight crew would time out, landed in Atlanta, missed my connection, ran to the back up flight from B12 to E6, made it and landed eight hours later in London.



Now the good news is that I did get to fly business class, so I slept for about five hours. Got to the hotel and worked on email for a bit. Then walked the fifteen minutes to the office for a meeting. I then came back, showered, and went to Windsor all by my lonesome for some dinner.



Funny story to show how strong jet lag can be: After dinner I took the train from Windsor back to Slough (it's only about 10 minutes). I got on the train, fell asleep and woke up to the doors closing as the train left Slough headed back to Windsor. So I got to do an extra roundtrip :-)




Tomorrow is an all-day meeting with an analyst. I better get to bed.



Here are a few pictures.


Coming into to London from the air:

Robyn, I found our house! A cute cottage not far from Windor. Rent is only about $6000 a month!


I actually wore sunglasses (I was the only one) on this nice sunny day (Slough train station) -- blue sky!


The flag shows that the queen is in residence at Windsor Castle. I knocked on the door, but nobody answered. It's a big place, maybe they didn't hear me.


The castle is massive. Much bigger than Buckingham Palace. This is just one of the entrances.



This is in Windsor. It is called "the long walk." You can see why.

I took this one just outside the Windsor train station at sunset.

I love you all!


Love,


Dad



















1 comment:

jeremy and steph said...

Dad,
Truly so proud of this update!...especially that it included gorgeous pictures!!! Glad you are safe and sound. Keep the posts comin'!
Love you,
Steph

p.s. if you ever needed a dinning buddy in London, I'm your girl :)